Experienced Indiana Theft Defense
Theft charges can tarnish your reputation, damage your career and threaten your freedom. If you or someone you love has been accused of theft in Indiana, you need a strong defense to clear your name and protect your rights. You need experienced Indiana theft defense attorney Zaki Ali.
For more than 20 years, attorney Zaki Ali has been dedicated to providing exceptional, aggressive defense representation for all types of theft charges in Indiana. Whether you’re facing misdemeanor or felony theft charges, you can turn to attorney Zaki Ali for fierce advocacy, the strongest possible defense and the best possible outcome to your case.
How Is Theft Defined?
Indiana Code § 35-43-4-2 defines theft as the act of intentionally or knowingly taking control of someone else’s property without the owner’s consent or:
- In a manner that’s different from the terms that the owner consented to
- With the use of false information or false promises (i.e., an act of fraud)
Under this law, theft can involve several different types of offenses, including (but not limited to):
- Car theft
- Criminal conversion (petty theft)
Types Of Theft Charges & Penalties In Indiana
The level and severity of Indiana theft charges will depend on several different factors, including (but not limited to):
- The value of the property allegedly stolen
- Whether a weapon was used to commit the theft offense
- Whether the accused individual has prior theft convictions and, if so, how long it has been since the prior convictions
Here’s an overview of how different types of theft offenses are generally classified in Indiana, along with the potential penalties for each.
|Theft Charge||Penalties||Example Offense|
|Class A Misdemeanor||Up to 1 year imprisonment Up to $5,000 in fines||Welfare fraud or check fraud for amounts less than $750|
|Class D/Level 6 Felony||6 months to 2.5 years imprisonment Up to $10,000 in fines||Receiving stolen auto parts|
|Class C/Level 5 Felony||1 to 6 years imprisonment Up to $10,000 in fines||Motor vehicle theft|
Don’t Fight Theft Charges Alone: Contact Indiana Theft Defense Attorney Zaki Ali
When you or a loved one has been accused of theft in Indiana, you can count on Zaki Ali, Trial Lawyers for compassionate legal guidance and aggressive advocacy. With experience as a former prosecutor, Indiana theft defense lawyer Zaki Ali has the skills and insight to:
- Effectively anticipate prosecutors’ strategies: This can be the key to crafting and presenting a formidable defense and, whenever possible, getting charges reduced or dismissed.
- Provide the highest quality defense representation: At the negotiating table, in court hearings, and throughout trial, attorney Zaki Ali will fight to bring your case to the best possible resolution.
Call 765-252-1539 or email attorney Zaki Ali now to schedule a FREE consultation and get important answers about your rights and legal options. When your reputation, freedom and future are on the line, Indiana theft defense lawyer Zaki Ali can be an essential advocate who can make all the difference in the strength and outcome of your case. Check out our case results and testimonials from former clients to see why we’re a leading criminal defense law firm in Indiana — and why you can rely on attorney Zaki Ali for exceptional theft defense representation.